Sunday, April 24, 2011

The Vinland Map

For my world map I decided that it would make the most sense to do some research into the Vinland map, a controversial map that is said to date back to the Viking era and shows Vinland, the place the Vikings had discovered so long before Columbus.


This map shows the viking's journeys around the country of Greenland from which Leif Eriksson had initially sailed when he discovered Vinland. You can see that they sailed along the Canada/North American east coast, I am interested here in Labrador and Newfoundland specifically as a location for my game.

Here is another map of Canada and the top of North America. Again, I'm interested in the Newfoundland and Labrador regions of Canada.




Here is a map detail of the area I'm interested in.






















This is the controversial Vinland map. On the very left of the map you can see Greenland and a small land mass titled "Vinlandia" - this would be the modern Newfoundland.














This shows the site of L'Anse aux Meadows, which is the site of archaeological digs in which many viking buildings and artefacts have been found. It could have been a tiny Viking settlement or perhaps even Leif Eriksson's settlement.


This is a closeup of L'Anse aux Meadows in NewfoundLand. For my game, I will move away from this site and go northwest into the Labrador region.

No comments:

Post a Comment