Monday, March 28, 2011

Animation - summary

The animation process went quite smoothly and quickly. I was a little irritated that I had wasted so much time struggling with the importing of the AI and PS files to start off with as this had seriously taken up way to much time that I had planned to spend animating.

However, I finished animating on Saturday night and spent a bit of time exporting about 4 different movies (all unnecessary layers turned off/made invisible so that the export happened faster) to see how everything worked together.

On Sunday I fixed all the mistakes (some layers were becoming visible when they shouldn't or would move left, right, up or down seemingly at random, just to mess with me. I also tried to add in colour effects which would make the TV flicker and reflect on the character's skin. This proved to be a bit of a difficult process as well as it was hard to find the right effects among the huge lists of options. The TV and character's eyes got "noise" added to them and in the end I added "hue/saturation" to the character's skin and the TV and played around with these to make everything flicker.

Late that night I wanted to make a draft, quick, poor quality export of the entire movie, all layers made visible, but it was apparently going to take 160 hours, which was clearly after Monday. Instead I decided to export the animation in 4 clips (which took about 2 hours) which I would put together in iMovie.

When i had exported these, I felt like I was so close to the end of the project and was definitely ready to catch up on some sleep. When I viewed the clips, I realised that the TV flicker looked too slow and subtle, but I decided that it wasn't worth wasting another night's sleep over, so I put the clips together and created my DVD.

Overall I am very happy with my animation. I did almost everything with it that I had set out to do and I think I developed a very nice aesthetic. I had a lot of fun with the sound design as well and I enjoyed the process of animation. I made many many mistakes and had many sleepless nights but I learned so many valuable lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment