Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Ideas

I definitely want to base my project on the concept art for a game based on the Vikings. That idea has never changed. The hard thing is to break away from actual Viking design and to somehow twist it in a way that would allow me to create something unique.

IDEAS -

  • game based on Viking mythology - maybe take one story from viking mythology and create a "God of War" style game around that
  • game based on Ragnarök, the final fight between the Viking Gods and the giants and Loki - the war between Good and Evil
  • take the vikings and throw them into a new context - e.g. what if they hadn't integrated into society and stayed very much an independent group of people in Scandinavia who kept on believing in their Gods?
  • Vikings in space
  • Viking zombies
  • Viking Gods
  • Viking history (educational)
Everything comes back to the Vikings. This isn't getting me anywhere - maybe I should make a list of all my favourite things found in games:

  • RPG's (Role Playing Games) - games based on narrative, often quest based (e.g. Fable, Fallout, Bioshock etc)
  • zombies
  • monsters
  • Dante's Inferno - while the game is terrible, the concept art is incredible! The character designs are amazing
  • Medieval themes - dwarves, elves etc (Oblivion, Dragonage etc)
  • Powerful characters where you aren't 100% weak to start off with (Batman Arkham Asylum, Bioshock 2)
  • God of War - based on Greek mythology
  • Assassin's Creed - based loosely on historical events and time periods (The Crusades, The Renaissance)
  • Games with awesome guns and weapons
  • Games set in space/the future with monsters and aliens (Mass Effect)

I think I really want to take the vikings and throw them into a new kind of context - e.g. Vikings in Space. This would allow me to take a lot of inspiration from Viking history and design but add a twist to it which will allow me to create unique and original and interesting concept art. E.g. Viking longship spaceships!

I want to stay away from the theme of Zombies because I think this has been very overdone recently and it's hard to not be influenced by the design that has already been done on this theme.

Considering that Digital Arts is all about narrative, I would really love to somehow include Viking mythology. There are so many interesting stories that most people haven't ever heard before. I also think that you have a lot of freedom when designing characters that are Gods (e.g. God of War with Greek Gods/monsters). With Gods, you can take inspiration from anywhere, from medicine/surgeries to playing around with anatomy in any way imaginable. You have so much freedom here.

I find it really hard to narrow down my ideas and to get a clear concept and storyline. I will have to brush up on my Viking knowledge and then see if anything becomes clearer to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment